Brussels Conference on Afghanistan, 04-05/10/2016
Foreign Minister Mevlût Cavusoglu, will head the Turkish delegation to the Brussels Conference on Afghanistan.
70 countries and 20 international organisations to meet in Brussels on 4 and 5 October 2016 for the Brussels Conference on Afghanistan
On 5 October, the European Union and the government of Afghanistan will co-host the Brussels Conference on Afghanistan. This conference will gather up to 70 countries and 20 international organizations and agencies. It will provide a platform for the government of Afghanistan to set out its vision and track record on reform. For the international community, it will be the opportunity to signal sustained political and financial support to Afghan peace, state-building and development.
Donald Tusk, President of the European Council, High Representative Federica Mogherini and Neven Mimica, European Commissioner for Development Cooperation, will represent the European Union. President Ashraf Ghani and Chief Executive Officer Dr. Abdullah Abdullah will represent Afghanistan.
The conference is expected to focus on three levels:
- joint international and Afghan efforts to increase the effectiveness of sustained international support and funding, on the basis of a new Afghan national development framework
- Afghan reform efforts, including on economic reform, rule of law, improved public finance management and anti-corruption so as to ensure the provision of the most important services and public goods
- regional efforts to support a political process towards peace and cross-border economic cooperation
- Programme of the Brussels Conference on Afghanistan
- Background – Brussels Conference on Afghanistan
- EU-Afghanistan relations
- Brussels conference on Afghanistan (Afghan Ministry of Finance)
- Afghanistan national peace and development framework (ANPDF), 2017 to 2021
On 4 October, a high level event, entitled ‘Empowered women, prosperous Afghanistan’ will take place in the margins of the conference. This event will provide a platform for the Afghan government to outline policy progress and plans on the protection and empowerment of women. It will include two panels, one focusing on the political and human rights of Afghan women and the other on their socio-economic situation. This event is open to accredited media and will be livestreamed.
- Agenda – Empowered Women, Prosperous Afghanistan
- Empowered Women, Prosperous Afghanistan
- Webcast – Empowered Women, Prosperous Afghanistan (live on 4 October)
A second high level event on regional integration and prosperity will take place on 4 October. This event is expected to set the next steps for regional economic cooperation projects that can attract the resources of Afghanistan, regional partners and the wider international community. It will gather representatives from regional and international partner countries, as well as from international organisations.