The CHP as Turkeys social-democratic party and main opposition has always been a firm defender of EU’s enlargement to Turkey. CHP asks better fulfillment of the EU’s Copenhagen political criteria by Turkey and more regulatory and social reforms. The world needs a better global order as a result of the actual financial, social and political transitions in the international system. In this respect, our world needs a better Europe which will prove its potential to become a larger single market, social model and political unity in an expanding world. A successful Turkey in the EU membership process will bring Europe more geo-strategic role, economic dynamism, youthful force, natural, cultural and historical richness, security and energy
The European Commissions Progress Report on Turkey for 2011 highlights crucial steps to be taken by Turkey in view of EU membership. However it had to better emphasize the Turkish governments increasing deficiencies in the fields of independence and impartiality of the judiciary power, individual freedoms, freedom of press, women rights, social policy and free and fair market economy. On the other hand, the report fails short of pointing to the EUs own contradictions in the unjustified blocking of negotiation chapters because of Southern Cypriote government and the France. We expect the European Commission to more firmly defend the European values and principles in dealing with Turkey.
CHP proposes to re-vitalise Turkeys EU accession process. Turkeys democratic future is in Europe. We see at least five pillars to support a new era for Turkey, beyond the current situation:
– Firstly, a renewed approach in Turkey to the EU process avoiding partisan and short-sighted political calculations and promoting at least bi-partisan or wider political and social consensus. The example of Croatia, having a monitoring committee led by the opposition party is very inspiring in this respect.
– Secondly, a political agenda adopting itself to the requirements of a democratic country which has to focus on the growth, jobs, reform of the judiciary system, educational reform, energy security, EU harmonization process and global competition policies within the framework of the EU 2020 Strategy.
– Thirdly, better communicating to the Turkish public that the EU process is about upgrading the social standards, democracy and economy.
– Fourthly, the continuity of Turkeys pro-European, constructive and result-oriented position on Cyprus. (Lets keep in mind that Turkey supported the UN peace plan as it was asked by the EU. The EUs inability to keep its promises on Cyprus severely damaged the pro-European trends in Turkey).
– Last but not least, we also ask to the EU politicians to express their support to Turkey, addressing directly to the Turkish people. The confusion between supporting Turkish peoples European future on the one hand and supporting a governments political destiny on the other hand should be avoided. This also time for the European politicians to demonstrate leadership in telling the truth to the European public on the requirements of the global situation: in fulfilling the membership criteria Turkey will become a crucial member of the European Union enhancing its international economic and political power. Enlarging the EU to Turkey is in the interest of the European citizens future in an increasingly competitive world.
Turkeys current problems can be better solved within the EU process, which should be re-energized by both the EU and Turkey through more rational policies and without questioning the target of membership. Lets do not forget that the reinforcement of the Turkish democracy is a common European interest for all of us.[cm_simple_form id=2]